Monday, May 18, 2009

F-14D Tomcat Beta Release (and new project announcement)

F-14D (version Beta 1) flying over Las Vegas

This is how the cockpit is looking in the Beta.
I've just completed the Beta 1 build of the Tomcat. It will be distributed to testers and supporters as soon as I can find the time (probably in a day or so). The visual model is complete. The virtual cockpit il 95% done (basically some switches and buttons are still not working and there are a couple of missing textures). The flight model needs some tweaking, as usual :-), but I think it is acceptable and carrier operations are smooth, except for the approach speed that tends to be a little high.
In short, I think the F-14 is good enough to involve the community. If you wish to contibute to this project, I'd need:
BETA TESTERS:
I already have few testers on board,but if you think you have the experience and the time needed to provide a significant feedback to the Beta 1 version, drop me an email at dino_cattaneo@libero.it
I plan to release the Tomcat asap, say 2-3 weeks after the Beta, so if you don't have the time to fly it in the next week please do no apply.
SOUND DESIGNER:
I'd love to have custom sounds for the Tomcat. Should anyone be able to provide them please contact me. Needless to say, they need to be FSX-compatible original sounds and, if I think they are OK, will be distibuted as freeware as part of the package (of course proper credit will be given the the author). Again, this should be done in 2-3 weeks.
REPAINTERS:
All of the early repainters have bailed out for several reasons. Should you want to give a try and have enough time and experience, please contact me. Some rules will apply: 1) No fictional repaints (I hate them) 2) No "vintage" repaints (i.e.the ones with white lower/moving surfaces - this limitation is due to the model texturing) 3) I will decide if and which repaints will be included in the base package (with proper credit)
Please forgive me if replies to your emails will be late or very short - but I will not have much time for them.
One last thing: I've finally selected the subject of my next project. It will be the F-35 Lighting II. It is likely to be my first payware project. Please do not hate me for this. I'll keep on doing things in the freeware scene as I love it, but the fact is that a good FSX project simply needs A LOT of time and resources - much more than what I can afford without a financial justification.

1 comment:

d0ugi3 said...

Dino, you're a workhorse. I can't beleive you pumped this out in so little time. It's quite astounding. And the fact that it looks proper and not a quick hashed up job is amazing aswell.
I tihnk the word is 'Bravo'...correct me if I'm wrong.

After my examinations are completed, on June the 12th, I will have 3 months to myself, maybe then, if you need help, i can offer services (most likely on the painting front). If not then that's all fine, but I would like you to know I am still keenly interested in helping you, and it was unfortunate that I applied to help you with such haste, without planning my own times properly.

Cheers, Anthony.