Tuesday, January 5, 2010

F-35 project update

Finally the cockpit model is almost complete!

Experimenting fixed camers angles

Quick update - I've made huge steps towards the completion of the cockpit model. It is almost done: actually the only thing that needs some work is the canopy - which I hope it will be completed by tomorrow. From the functionality standpoint - the basic things are working. It should not take too time to have everything you need for VFR flying working. MFD will have a fixed layout (i.e. you cannot change windows type/size/position like in the real thing) - it is possible to make a folly working MFD in FSX - but I'm not a "gauge-guy" and it will take a while to make. So I decided for a fixed layout.
Also I'm experimenting with the HMD - some things work fine some other don't. Basic flight data will be superimposed on the VC via a transparent gauge - while I still need to find a suitable soution for the horizon projection.
Fligh model seems to work fine - albeit it is hard to tell if it is realistic...
As for the external model it does not need much work, I think - but it will not change it before the beta. Speaking of the beta, I will first complete the canopy, add some functionality to the VC and implement basic HMD. But it should not take more than few days, I hope.

11 comments:

MaxWaldorf said...

Nice work !

Keep us posted if you need beta testers !


Cheers !

Andrew said...

Cool view in cockpit. I am starting to recall memories from my chilhood - and my favourite game "LHX Atttack chopper". Big PFDs - digital gauges only. So unusual, but sooner or later it will be a standart environment for a human combat pilot.
But now i feel myself in back seat of a Jet-Trainer - many empty surfaces, too simplified sidepanels, and complicated PFD... may be point of view is the reason.

Your progress is good. No need to rush.

Canopy... can we expect exclusive effects like progressive icing, scratches, raindrops, etc. ?

And now, the personal,can i be envolved to betatesting routines ? - you are so close to the beta release, and it's good to know what expect and to be prepared to.

Andrew said...

Mmmm... i forget to say ... there were my posts about carrier variants...it was me.

Anonymous said...

LookiN better and better every day!! Checking daily on ye progress. This is the most exciting FSX project ever!!! Keep it up!!!
Schmooze13

ScimmiaSpaziale said...

UPDATE:
Cockpit geometry is finally complete! The only thing that needs to be done is add functionality!

Anonymous said...

The shape of the MFD is not correct in the first image. The bottom of the MFD should be straight across. What you have modeled is the protective cover on top of the MFD so workers do not damage the display while working in the cockpit.

Anonymous said...

Here is a photo of what it should look like:

http://bbs.replays.net/upload/2009/10/29/1639/15926240629184.jpg

Looks like its from a simulator (not ours)

Here is the maker of the PFD and SFD displays we use in our simulators:

http://driven-technologies.com/

ScimmiaSpaziale said...

Thanks for highlighting that - fact is that I've been modeling also the protective cover and frogot to remove some of its polygons in the picture. Having said that, the cover was one visual "easter egg" that I plan to remove...

neutrino said...

Hi, sent you an email about the HUD/HMD :)

Matt said...

Hi love the plane, I have been fallowing it since last summer. I am deploying this next week and will not have internet access for a very long time, about a year and a half actualy. Is there any way I could obtain the unifinished prodfect from you it would mean alot. mattmichellemiller@hotmail.com

SpazSinbad said...

JSF Cockpit Simulator / Demonstrator Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnE2yCc-Yfs