Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Update and some FAQ answers

I've been very busy in the past few days and I had no time to reply to your comments and emails...my apologies. I'll do what I can to catch up asap.

Here is a quick update of what is going on (and some answers to FAQs)

Grumman F-14D Tomcat
While I think the 0.95 was a relatively good release, I am still working on it. The planned changes are as follows:
- Change to the canopy texture so that left and right sides are separate (at least in the lower area): this is to allow repainters to write the crew names onto the canopy without having the right side "mirrored". NOTE: this will impact actual repaints
- Fix the animation glitch when opening the radome
- Improve the flight model (reduce the overpower condition at medium speeds)
- Integrate a couple of repaints (namely VF-101 by BananaBob and VF-31 by Yago9)

FAQs:

Q:Can I host the Tomcat on my website? Can I repack it (with an installer/repaints/missions/whatever)?
A:The current release (v0.95) has still some (minor) issues...so I'd like to keep control on the release by limiting the download sources, if possible. The next release will be probably good enough to be uploaded to other sites.
Please do not repack the Tomcat - it will make it impossible for me to keep track of the versions. It is happened on my Fs2004 Tomcat which was extensively reworked and repackaged by several individuals (often without my authorization)...I guess it is the price of the popularity, but this means that identifying the issues and improving the product becomes almost impossible.

Q: Is a repaint kit available?
A: No. The simple reason is I never did one for myself - I use the "photoreal" approach, so textures are made from actual photos "on the fly" while modeling....

Q:Is the flight model overpowered?
A: Yes. Not as much as some users believe IMHO, but the flight model should show roughly a 10% more power than the real one. I've increased the thrust so that it is possible to reach and exceed the maximum allowable speed for the given configuration (Mach 1.8 above 10000ft) as requested by some early users. In general, I think the engine behaviour at very slow and very high speeds is acceptable... but in other flight conditions it is definitely too powerful.
Some users have complained about the "spool time" (the time needed for the engine to react to a throttle change). Jet engines are known to have a slow reaction...but things have evolved from the early jet era... In doubt, I've kept the default Hornet value.

Q:What is the correct approach speed?
A:It depends on the fuel quantity: if you launch with the tanks fully loaded and then immediately try to land, you are too heavy (and in the real world you might severely damage the a/c trying to land) so you need to dump fuel before landing. With proper weight, the flight model should allow an approach speed of 125 to 130 Knots (close to the real one).

Q:Is there a manual? Or at least a checklist?
A:I never had time to write them. Writing a check list that is as close as possible to the real one and works with FSX model takes more time than you expect. I am not sure I will have the time to do it anytime soon...

Q:What is your next project?
A:Definitely the F-35 Lighting II. It is very likely to be payware. It is shaping up really nicely, and I've just completed the tails and the engine - will post some pics as soon as it makes some sense.
I am taking the "HD" approach, that is the main textures will be 4096x4096 and the smaller ones will be 1024x1024. The main subject is the AA-1 bird (the CTOL system development prototype). Possibly the BF-1 (STOVL development bird) will be modeled too, but given the FSX restriction in the STOVL dynamics it is a second priority.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ciao Dino ma l'f-35 sarà un prodotto IRIS?

ScimmiaSpaziale said...

Al momento non ho ancora deciso (ne' capito se è per quello) quale possa essere la migliore forma di distribuzione... Per ora mi interessa vedere "come viene" - quello che ho su schermo è molto promettente, ma forse sono troppi poligoni. Una volta capito qual'è il livello qualitativo a cui si attesterà l'F-35, potrò ragionare sul da farsi... Tenendo presente che il mio scopo non è quello di "farci dei soldi" ma quello di rientrare delle spese...

ScimmiaSpaziale said...
This comment has been removed by the author.