Following the greatly successful release of the F-35 package for Flight Simulator X, here is a new version designed specifically for Prepar3D v2.5 (and above) with support of Vertical Reality Simulations Tacpack.
As the F-35 program progresses, a lot of infomation has been made available on the real aicraft - so it was possible to design a better, more realistic simulation of the F-35...and this package is an attempt to significantly improve the existing freeware version, bringing it to the next level of accuracy. Unfortunately, the development costs have been really high - therefore this package cannot be released for free. It will shortly be available for purchase on all major Flight Simulation portals (SimMarket, FSPilotShop and FlightsimStore).
- Improved pilot inteface and avionics, and based on the most recent videos of actual simulators used for pilot training
- New, high detail visual models based on professionally made meshes
- High detail texture sets, based on real aicrafts, for U.S.A.F., U.S.Marine Corps, U.S.Navy, Royal Air Force, Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Netherlands Air Force, Italian Air Force and Norwegian Air Force
- Improved modeling and texturing of the Virtual Cockpit
- Improved MFD functionality, including Air To Surface radar (ASR), Distributed Aperture System (DAS) imagery, Targeting and Forward Looking Infra-Red (TFLIR Imaging)
- Improved HMD graphics and functionalities
- Improved flight model based on latest pireps and pilot interviews
- Custom F-35 pilot figures for Avatar Mode are included as bonus feature for Prepar3Dv3
Minimum hardware requirements:
This is not a "lightweight" project - the complexity of the avionics and high detail of the visual models require a relatively powerful machine. We advise to use the package on a machine that meets of exceeds the following requirements:
- CPU: 4 cores, 3.0GHz or better
- GPU: Nvidia 660 or better, with 2Gb dedicated video memory
- RAM: 6Gb minimum
- Hard Disk space: 1Gb required
- Simulation platform: Lockheed Martin Prepar3D v2.5 or above. VRS Tacpack required for specific functions (see FAQs section)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Q - Is this package compatible with FSX?
A - This package has been designed from the beginning for Lockheed Martin Prepar3D V2.5 + Tackpack, and leverages some peculiar features of this platform, specifically for the avionics. It is therefore not compatible with FSX - installing it in FSX will result in a non-functional MFD, and potential error messages. However, a patch is provided that installs an alternate, simplified MFD which is compatible with FSX:Acceleration, Gold and Steam Editions.
With this patch the following functions will not work: TFLIR, DAS, ASR. Also, you cannot maximize portals to half-screen and the TSD display is the "old" one (less realistic and based on the FS9GPS). Note that due to the high detail of the 3D model, the fps performance will not be very high.
Q- Wait...but isn't your F-35 a freeware project?
A- Well... it was. Meaning, the FSX F-35 package is freeware (up to version 2.41). The version depicted in this page is version 3 - which is payware. The reason for this is that the development costs have been quite high - mostly to pay for the enhanced meshes for the new visual model. I am sorry but this project cannot be distributed for free.
Q- Well...how is this different from the freeware version?
In the past two years, a lot of new information and data about the F-35 has been made available to the public, and this package leverages this as much as we could. For one, the 3D models are much better, with more realistic and detailed textures. Also, the flight model has been improved. And the MFD and pilot interface have been vastly reworked: a lot of work has been put in making the look and feel of the MFD more realistic and implementing features like DAS and TFLIR.
Q- Is Tackpack required?
A- The package has been designed from the beginning to leverage some specific Tacpack features to provide a more realistic depiction of the F-35 avionics. If Tacpack is not installed, following functions will not work: weapons configurator, ordnance release, TWD, chaffs, flares, DAS imagery, TFLIR imagery, HMDS off-boresight symbology. Basically you can fly...and nothing more.
Q- What about P3D version 3? How is this different from the stock F-35 that comes with P3Dv3?
A- The "stock" P3Dv3 version is a simplified version I provided to Lockheed Martin (for free) as I was not happy with the previous rendition, but it is actually a much simplified version of this package.
The package will work fine in P3Dv3, but at the moment I am writing this Tacpack is not (yet) available...so Tacpack dependent function will not work. Once Tacpack becomes available, those functions will activate when Tacpack is installed (no need to reinstall the F-35).